For Teacher Appreciation Day, All DonorsChoose.org Classroom Projects In Brooklyn Funded By News Corp
NEW YORK – May 6, 2014 – DonorsChoose.org announced today that, in honor of Teacher Appreciation Day, News Corp has “flash funded” every single classroom project request from Brooklyn teachers on the site, which will bring books, instruments, supplies and technology to thousands of Brooklyn public and charter school students.
News Corp fulfilled 279 project requests, including paying off balances on projects that had been partially funded by individual donors, funding a total of 207 Brooklyn teachers across the borough, from Coney Island to Park Slope, and Bedford Stuyvesant to Brownsville.
“Thanks to the generosity of News Corp and all of the individual donors who gave to these Brooklyn projects, we’ll fulfill a lot of classroom dreams today,” said Charles Best, founder and CEO of DonorsChoose.org. “We’re honored to recognize these teachers for their creativity and perseverance on behalf of their students.”
“We at News Corp are strong believers in the power of education to open doors of opportunity for disadvantaged youth, and so we welcome this chance to honor teachers and help students throughout Brooklyn on Teacher Appreciation Day,” said Robert Thomson, Chief Executive of News Corp.
All Brooklyn teachers who had active projects on DonorsChoose.org were notified today that their project was fully funded.? Some examples of funded projects include:
- Ms. D’Amato teaches first grade at PS 15 Patrick Daly in Red Hook and made a special request for a local artist from the Brooklyn Arts Council to come help her first graders rebuild a mural on their school exterior that was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy.
- Ms. Smirk teaches Pre-K at PS 181 in East Flatbush, and will be receiving science kits, magazines and blocks for her pupils.
- Ms. Chalmers teaches 1st grade at PS 149 Danny Kaye in East New York will be receiving notebooks, phonics workbooks, pencils, art supplies and pencil cases for her students.
- Ms. Madden teaches 2nd grade at PS 139 Alexine A. Fenty in East Flatbush. She will receive a chapter book library.
- Mr. Eaton, also at PS 139 Alexine A. Fenty, will be provided with a listening center for his special education students.
- Mr. Seymour teaches 7th grade at JHS 88 Peter Rouget in Park Slope, is getting a MakerBot 3D printer, a theremin building, and graph paper.
- Ms. Houston teaches high school seniors at School for Democracy and Leadership in East Flatbush and will receive a Lego robotics kit for the classroom.
For a full list of funded projects, please go to donorschoose.org/newscorp2014.
To encourage employees to join in this “flash fund” of classroom projects, News Corp is also matching employee contributions to DonorsChoose.org during the month of May.
DonorsChoose.org is one of eight Philanthropy Partners for News Corp in 2014, chosen to help the company invest in and transform communities where many of its people live and work; Brooklyn is home to both a number of News Corp employees and offices of Amplify, which is reimagining the way teachers teach and students learn through data-driven instruction, one-to-one learning and next-generation digital curriculum.
The company’s contributions dovetail with its charitable goals: enriching the lives of vulnerable youth, advancing innovation in K-12 education, improving digital literacy, supporting a free press and aiding veterans.
Founded in 2000, DonorsChoose.org makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need.? At this nonprofit website, teachers at half of all the public schools in America have created project requests, and more than a million people have donated $239?million to projects that inspire them. All told,?11 million?students—most from low-income communities, and many in disaster-stricken areas—have received books, art supplies, field trips, technology, and other resources that they need to learn.
Visit www.donorschoose.org/intro to hear Oprah Winfrey and Stephen Colbert tell the DonorsChoose.org story.
About News Corp
News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) is a global, diversified media and information services company focused on creating and distributing authoritative and engaging content to consumers throughout the world. The company comprises businesses across a range of media, including: news and information services, cable network programming in Australia, digital real estate services, book publishing, digital education, and pay-TV distribution in Australia. Headquartered in New York, the activities of News Corp are conducted primarily in the United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom. More information: www.www.chicfaced.com.